today was my last day in DC, as tomorrow mom and i start the drive up to manhattan. so it was my last time walking from my house in arlington to the ballston metro stop - walking through the quiet suburban streets, waiting 14 bloody minutes for the orange line train, and getting out at dupont circle to do some last visits of friends. hm. it was lovely, and i wouldn't trade the experiences i had in DC for anything - i believe whole-heartedly in the value of experience, and am so happy to have a knowledge of our nation's capital. but all that being said, i really won't miss DC. i have not one shred of nostalgia in leaving the place, which is kind of sad, isn't it? i don't think i've ever been so detached to a place i have lived. oh well, it can't be helped. and really, DC was not very welcoming to me in the end, right? i realize this even more now, after the last few days has brought some very promising reactions from people in new york...
you see my at-home fistula research work for johns hopkins/UNFPA will basically keep me afloat financially in new york, in addition to what i earned in the last months with other part-time research positions. but of course i want to do more in the actual city of new york to feel like an actual resident. i sent out some emails on tuesday to some places about potential volunteer-work. (this, this, this and this place - in case you are interested) all said organizations got back to me within a day, all incredibly enthusiastic about me and my resume, and i have meetings set up with all of them to discuss how i could be involved. 2 of the places are interested in me for more than just volunteer work even, based on my background and "skill set." (this one and this one) now c'mon. isn't that a good sign that new york is already a great deal (as in 180,000%) more welcoming to me than DC ever was? my gosh the greatest note of encouragement i got in this town was from mr. yogato :) (who did say by the way that i was the best employee they've ever had. awesome! i was so dang proud.) rejection after rejection met me here - not even harsh rejection, just complete and utter apathy and non-responsiveness... not that i feel so entitled that i think everyone should be clamoring for my resume, but a bit of interest is always nice, right? and now people are actually saying they are impressed by my experience and really want me to work for them?! i mean honestly! i am very encouraged. and very thrilled. and very very ready to get going.
so. who said new yorkers were all just hard and tough-skinned? from what i have seen they already seem more than hospitable :) huzzah!
29 January 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
yay jooj! i can't wait to read all about your fabulous life in the big apple.
wow, sounds like your destiny is calling. :) i'm so happy for you!
oh my goodness, how fabulous you are! And how inspired I am by you going and doing.
Joojie you will do well in NY and I know that this is something that you have wanted. You are an awesome girl and have so much to offer that I can't understand why Wash DC could not see it. Oh well you are going where you wanted to be all of the time.
Love you very much
Grammy
Yay and most excellent. Best of luck! You're still within driving distance from MD for me :)
I had this great experience going to NYC last January that involved several very kind people going out of their way to help me. It's still an intimidating place for lots of reasons, but I'm not surprised you are being welcomed with open arms! Good luck with the move! You will be missed!
i miss you!!! call me please. I am so glad that people are welcoming you- Finally!!! If you arent qualified, then I dont know who is. you are the smartest person I know.... last night I was playing cranium and I literally thought- i wish jooj was here because she would know a lot of these random facts. ha! love you!
Jooj I felt that exact same way when I moved from DC to NY. NY is simply home and I never looked back. I'm so happy for you! I shall come visit soon and we'll stroll along 5th ave like that lovely day last Fall. xoxo
Post a Comment