07 October 2008

where i live

after returning from the west coast, i promptly preceded to make something of my little living space in arlington, virginia. i thought i'd post some photos... mostly for mom, les and steph as they are probs the only ones who care :)... eh voila:

my house from the street, built in 1939. (so many trees right around! and still just 10 minutes from the city!)

hallway opening up into my (very small) room (which i love) (i like quaint, little spaces.. it's all you need, right?)


and my room, from one angle and then the other. the pics on the wall are my own which i had printed out - except the large eiffel tower canvas which i bought :) you know how i love the aesthetics of winter trees. and paris. so of course i snatched it up immediately.

i'm standing right at the end wall of my room trying to take the photos, which explains their awkward closeness... haha, the room is just a bit too small to get wide-sweeping-interior shots! it's perfect :)

also, i must say that i've really become aware of how important it is to feel at home in your space, to feel it is your own. last year i lived in college accommodation at oxford and could do nothing really to the hideous furniture, dingy carpet, and blank walls. it was never an inviting or comforting place to be - but at least i did have the whole city of oxford to spill out into :) now that i'm in DC and trying so hard to be settled here, i really felt it was critical to feel some part of myself in the physical environment of DC... i want to feel comfortable and make some semblance of a home for myself. i think in this sense it's then easier to not miss what i left... :)

13 comments:

Barbara said...

What a comfortable room. Love it!
You have made a homey space for yourself. Thank you for sharing.
Love you
Grammy

Jack said...

I agree, although you can always take a little bit of "home" with you. Just found your blog, so will need to read back, but what school in Oxford were you?

J

http://adventuresinvoluntarysimplicity.blogspot.com/

stephanie said...

oh, i love it! what a great little house. your room is just beautiful.

butchie said...

I care, I care!

Can't wait to see it in person...

Ginger said...

I agree with Stephanie. Your room is lovely and the house looks charming! Hopefully it won't take us too long to come and visit, with the kids this time!

Leslie said...

oh, what a cute house, love the trees! it's sure to be beautiful once fall arrives. i love your mirror and lampshade. well done, as usual!!

Pa said...

awesome! love your room! two questions - what is on your window and can you use what looks like a great glassed in front porch? thanks for showing it off. you sure put it together fast. mom

Natalie said...

hey, I care too! i often sit and wonder where you are and what your flat looks like, all over the world. this one doesn't disappoint - beautiful and so you, miss julianne!

FelonyMelanie said...

oh you. stop it. your room is so cute. i love all the photos and stuff, you are amazing! I am excited to hear you got two jobs?? perhaps?

Lauren said...

Your bedrooms are always adorable (this is the third one I've seen - creepy? yes.). I absolutely COVET that Paris print. I, too, recently added to my Paris collection - a new necklace with an eiffel, a fleur de lis and charm that says "je t'aime" and an eiffel tower key chain I bought at Claires, which Brooke says looks like me because "it's obnoxious." Whatev. I love Paris. Always.
Also, Je t'aime.

Jennifer said...

hi, I just wanted to tell you I've the last few blogs you posted, and I really enjoy reading your blog. I was wondering one thing. I've too been considering moving to DC because after moving back home from living in South Korea for so long, NC is lacking in the job department. So I was wondering, did you just move out there with a bit of money and just go at it from there, or did you arrange things before you went? would you recommend DC for someone who is kinda starting out again? ok, like I said it was random, but I love what you've done with your room and I was curious about the whole DC thing. look forward to hearing from you. jennifer

MIMI n' LINCOLN RULE!! said...

the room looks great jooj. definitely cozy.

Brittmae said...

I care! I also agree that the house and room are gorgeous. Much cuter than anything I live in.