isn't it incredible how many people in the last months have started blogs? they are such a bizarre form of communication, or self-expression.... i fear sometimes that in constantly turning around and re-telling our lives, we lose some of the power of lived moments for what they are. it's like mom always used to say "don't be a slave to your camera" - not living the moment through your eyes but trying to just capture it in an artificial form... how often are we slaves of the idea of possible future story-telling? i don't think that all blogs are simply about exhibitionist self-absorption, but the boundaries between private and public have never been so blurred... i am still so surprised when people say "oh yes, i saw that on your blog" - but then again, why write a blogpost if you have no intention of anyone seeing it?
at the met this week there was an exhibit of the work of giorgio morandi, a reclusive italian modernist painter whose work i greatly admire. at one point he said:
"[compared to other italian artists of my generation], i was still left in peace, perhaps because i demanded so little recognition. my privacy was thus my protection, and in the eyes of the grand inquisitors of italian art, i remained, but a provincial professor of etching at the fine arts academy of bologna."
do blogs immediately make us all great demanders of recognition? and sometimes i wonder if i'd prefer to be more protected in my privacy.
oh well :) ultimately i'm happy that because of blogs, i can see this. and this. :)
24 October 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
i think your blog can be as revealing as you want it to be. i know lots of people who just put way too much out there on their blogs. almost publishing just for the sake of publishing. i'm sure everyone has regretted one post or another, but ultimately, i think everyone finds their own comfort zone on their blog.
but ya, deep down, blogs are kinda weird.
leslie said everything i was going to say - but your two examples are great reasons for blogs. and we all ( at least in the fam) enjoy your insights and experiences which are so unique compared to what the rest of our lives are like! so keep on keeping on! mom
I have definitely been one to post way too much on my blog and still am, for that matter! But I love them because I can learn so much (from yours, for example), get advice from other bloggers (from out wiser mother's, sisters, and sister-in-laws), and see pictures of the kiddies!!!!! That last one is probably my favorite part of blogs. :)
I have no philosophical blog thoughts...I have to save those for my torts class when we talk about how you are liable if you serve me alcohol and then I go out drunk and kill someone. I just wanted to say that yes...we did miss you at the shower, but in a way, you WERE there. Remember how you cleaned out your pantry and I repossessed some of your really good hot chocolate stuff? Well...some of you fancy french caca stuff went into the decadent chocolate gelato I made. So really..you were there..and you were fabulous...
Love ya!
B
Dear Julianne,
This is my first time on here and I would like to introduce you to my blog. I guess we both share a love for reading and Doctor Zhivago ranks amongst my favourite books.
I would like to return here and hope you will find the time for a countervisit?
I sincerely hope you will accept my invitation and looking forward to seeing you on R.E.II and hoping we stay connected.
I love your exhibitionism!
Best wishes
R.E.II
such a strange blogging dilemna! sometimes i forget that i'm publishing somewhat personal snippets on a domain quite accessible by the entirety of the world, until i remember and wonder - oh? should i/we really be putting these things up?
i think there is a lot of power in not constantly retelling our lives and losing those lived moments for what they are... but i also think about how much i've gained from hearing the select details of what certain people are thinking, living through, and i feel like that process of reflection and sharing has such possibilty in making us grow so much.
maybe blogs do feed our need to demand recognition - but maybe they also feed our need to connect to the experiences that resonate within each other?
Post a Comment