MONDAY
7am. woke up sickety sick sick. despite what i know will be a highly-packed work week, i also couldn't swallow, nor hardly lift my head up, so alas: i decided to work from home.
12pm. been pushing fluids and a senegal case study non-stop for the last 5 hours. feeling quite comfortable, lying on my bed, laptop perched on my lap, water in my left hand - until oh no oh no oh no the most awful thing ever, me in all my clumsiness and fuzzy-sick-head-thinking tip my glass, water spills on my keyboard, i LEAP UP and shake and mop off. mind you, it was really only about 3/4 an inch that spilled out - but mind you further, it spilled directly on the keyboard. computer dies.
2pm. at the apple store on 5th avenue in my pajamas. they've taken my beloved laptop apart, dried it out as best they could, then said to leave it open for a week to allow every morsel of moisture to evaporate, return, see if it works properly, or else alas. another computer must be bought. (no no no no no!)
rest of day. cry at this prospect. also cry that i lost 5 hours of precious work, when i'm under an ugly deadline.
TUESDAY
8am. back at the office, feeling increasingly sick throughout the day, but got lovely text messages to cheer me up from toni, sadie and moe :)
5.30pm. on the phone with my boss in geneva, when a colleague comes up, puts the following post-it-note on my computer screen "big snow storm tomorrow, UN may be closed, call 212-326-7101 in the morning to find out." !!!!!!!!!!!
WEDNESDAY
7am. slowly get out of my melatonin-induced slumber. can't swallow yet again, but behold! i part my curtains and there they are! big, big chunky flakes falling from a white white sky!!
7.05am. out in the living room, the view onto broadway is blindingly white, i can no longer see the river or across to jersey. i call the UN helpline, and why yes "Please be advised that due to increment weather, the UN complex in New York will be closed Wednesday, February 10, 2010." (isn't it amazing that the UN can simply shut down? oh it's all so absurd.)
10.34am. 3 mugs of tea, 3 chocolate-covered digestives and 2 glasses of orange juice later, working on my very kind roommate's computer editing this never-ending senegal case study with a WINTER WONDERLAND OUTSIDE.
10.35am. SO HAPPY we had a UN snow day today. not only because i still feel utterly ill, but i also now feel as if i've finally made up for all that sunshine in the OC meaning no snow days. we only ever got extra days off school when our teachers were on strike (which, admittedly was frequent.)
10.36am. yes, still very very very sad about my computer. oh please little macbook, don't die! don't die!
10.37am. back to work. will take pictures of the metropolitan blizzard and post some other day. in the meantime, much love you all!
10 February 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
So sad to hear about the computer. I'm mostly paranoid about liquids around my computer, but can be frightfully blase at times.
I have a school snow day today, but I'm at work as I type. Snow doesn't look bad so far, but can't say I'm too sad to be missing a day of picturebook.
Feel better!
So sorry about you being sick.
To bad your computer got sick too!
Life does go on though doesn't it.
Did you see the pictures of your new baby cousin? Sean and Amy finally have their girl after 3 boys. Her name is Megan Audrey Parker.
Love you so much
Grammy
eew. so sorry, love.
snow down here is TOTAL MADNESS. i haven't been more than a mile from my house since last wednesday. BLIZZARD CONDITIONS.
oh gosh, jooj. i'm sorry you were sick, too on top on the computer incident! been thinking about you still. that must be why. :)
sorry you're sick, jooj. that stinks. your macbook must survive! i think it will.
I'm so sorry you're sick, but I'm right there with you. I feel like I look like Rudolph because my nose is so red and raw from blowing it.
I love snow days. I always have. I know what you mean about the UN closing for the day. The U.S. Government does the exact same thing, but as a Senate intern last February, I sure did enjoy it.
I also feel so bad about your computer. I've so been there. In fact, Ali watched me dump a full cup of coke on my keyboard a few years back. It was awful. I'm praying yours turns back on!
That computer situation sounds awful! I was in similar straits with my laptop in Jan 09 -- CA is dry and I have a weird electrical field -- but it all worked out for the best and I hope your situation will too!
You know I am otherwise dying of envy over here, where a day of on-again-off-again rain on Tuesday was treated like the prelude to a second Deluge. Also, you have cocoa and chocolate digestive biscuits? Were they McVities? Those are a sure cure for any ill!
feel better soon sweetie! -alice
ps not jealous you're sick but i did turn a little green with envy when you mentioned a certain chocolate covered digestive biscuit... :D
Post a Comment