the chocolate zucchini cake was divinity. i used applesauce with a bit of maple syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg to substitute for the apple butter, and toni chopped up ritter sport 50% cacao bars for the chocolate chips. AMAZING. i think i may just do the ritter sport thing back in the US, even with the option of chocolate chips. because seriously - the germans do chocolate right.
i put an uber creamy cream cheese frosting on it, which was divine. toni's flatmates have already commissioned my services for january for the next birthday in the apartment. this cake alone will now be responsible for my multiple trips back to deutschland. thanks ginger! :)
and so the tradition in germany is that you eat cake for breakfast on your bday, and since this chocolate cake of divinity was for the lovely dinner party last night, toni and i decided to make yet another cake yesterday to enjoy this morning. so this is what our breakfast table looked like:
french apple tart from allrecipes.com. SO GOOD. make it. for real. you won't be disappointed.
let it be said that this my first time:
1. making a cake from scratch
2. making any kind of pastry dough/pie/tart crust from scratch
and yet they both turned out amazing. i owe this to 2 factors:
1. heavenly recipes that i dutifully followed [ginger was SO RIGHT ON]
2. the subconscious skills i accrued from the dozens of cookie sessions at grammy's house growing up. yes grammy i remember! they were my favorite! and look how they payed off! :)
sigh. celebrating toni's birthday for the full weekend was uber fun. i will spare you all details, but to sum up:
it will be really hard to leave germany in 10 days.

10 comments:
wow, that apple tart looks perfect, right out of a magazine! i bet it smelled SO yummy.
happy birthday toni!
I am impressed. Deeply impressed.
mmmm...I think I may try that apple tart!
Remember when you made banana chocolate chip cookies, and they were really good? I think you are quite the baker!
Those both look amazing! I've never tried a tart, but now I'm thinking I'd better. You have some natural baking talent :)
They are beautiful- I have such talented granddaughters. Love you much
Grammy
who knew you were such a natural in the kitchen, jooj? :) i must try that cake recipe. and your tart looks like perfection. have fun for the next 10 days!
so, i lived with you for 3 years (yes, 3 years) and i don't recall you EVER making anything like that for me...hmmm...
jooj, everything looks so delicious. good job figuring out recipes and successfully converting measurements :) i understand how it can be tricky and difficult.
have fun the rest of the trip!!
love ya~
amazing. I need to learn how to make yummy things like these ones. baking is not a talent of mine, but I am open to learn. lets bake when you come to nyc.
wow. I haven't even wanted anything sweet the last 7 months, but that about ruined it for me... I might have to try that cake out. It is so much more fun cooking and baking when you have people to do it for!! :) I am glad for you to come back... I have missed our mass emails.
Post a Comment