22 September 2008

i know i'm impatient, but really.

i am learning the hard way that not everything in life happens on your timeline.

for example...

i first arrived in DC on august 3rd. i still don't have a job.

i was living out of a suitcase on kind friend's couches until just 2 days ago, september 20.

despite finally moving and "settling" into a home, we have no gas in the house until wednesday.

and we don't have internet until the 29th.

so i walked over a mile through (admittedly beautiful) suburb streets of arlington, virginia to a coffee house with free wi-fi so i can continue my daily never-ending routine of job searching/networking/selling my soul to email as i contact every single person in the DC area with connections to africa or health.

walk because i also still don't have a car - not because of any lack of effort on dad's part (thanks a million dad), but because car shipping trucks don't acknowledge that utah exists, and therefore stop there only once every 648 years.


anyone who knows me (or simply glances at previous blogposts) knows that mentally i am still in europe. i am trying to feel settled in DC, to really feel at home here without daydreaming of magdalen deer park or corippo. but everything seems to be against me! i mean c'mon! i was so happy that we'd finally be settled in a house, but it's not even fully functioning, so the excitement is quite muted at this point. i just want to call DC my home if it really will be my home.

oh DC - why don't you want me?

5 comments:

Ginger said...

Jobless in DC sounds awesome to me... I would be doing major exploring every day... maybe DC is trying to give you that chance before you have to settle into the daily grind?

No internet does stink! And does no gas mean no hot water? Hope that gets fixed soon! :-)

Pa said...

your first sentence says it all - our timelines are not always what works out. btw a lot of good places are missing out by not hiring you. and qu'est-ce que c'est corippo? see you thursday. mom

Leslie said...

hang in there jooj. you're gonna make it after all! (now toss your hat in the air.)

i know i'm older than you, but tell me you've seen mary tyler moore . . . :)

Lauren said...

Lovah, just call Sarah and relive the glory days in France. Also, good news. There is a very large chance that I will be joining you in DC come January. Keep your fingers crossed. I should know soon.

Also, DC does want you. It's just a little intimidated. I mean, you just came from Oxford. You're an international big shot. Give it time, DC will warm up to you.

Thelma said...

I know you are frustrated here, but I am so grateful you are in DC.

I remember one time Gloria and I were bemoaning the fact that we had no skills, and then Drana who just got back from Ghana said "well, you can read, that's something"