the fab five.
consisting of
ali
brittany
lindsay
melanie
(and me).
consisting of
ali
brittany
lindsay
melanie
(and me).
context of why i'm posting this tribute: i spent the day cycling in the gorgeous villages of the neighbouring cotswolds today. it was beautiful to the point of transcendence... it seems the day was more a dream than a reality. and it's hitting me that i have to leave this gorgeous city of oxford, in the fabulous country of england, in the wonderful continent of europe, in two short weeks.
sad face.
BUT! there is hope! there are few people i love more in the world than the people mentioned above who i pay tribute to today. we became friends freshman year at byu, very serendipitously as we all lived on the same end of our hallway in david john hall. what i love about our friendship is that it's not based on any pretension or ulterior motive, we all just love each other for who we are. we are very different in interests and opinions, but that doesn't matter in the end - our care and concern for each other trumps all that. i have more pure, unadulterated fun with one, two, or ideally all of the members of the fab five than i have with anyone else.
so. even though i have to leave oxford and try to be a real person with self-confidence in the never-ending job search (sad face again), at least i'm going home closer to such dear friends. ali may actually live near me on the east coast next year, which would make life basically perfect. i kid not when i say that my thought process on days like this runs in such a circular motion... sadness of leaving dear ones here, but overflowing joy in thinking what adventures could happen in the future with such friends from my past. so in a sense i'm paying tribute to the fab five of the future - i could rattle off stories of our past, but really no one else would think such things are nearly as funny or entertaining, and i think such a tribute would imply that i see some sort of end of our friendship, that it was an epoch lived in provo rather than a living reality.* it's remarkable how no matter what has happened in each others lives, or how we've changed, we remain close. how beautiful a thing is that?
i love you all dearly.
*besides all these photos are from freshman year. haha, how young we all looked then. :)

7 comments:
I still LOVE that picture of Brittany. Those were such good times, and we still have so many more good times ahead of us! I "mos def" love you too Jooj.
You guys are all freakin hilarious. I'm glad I found your little group - well, most of you!
Jooj, friends are wonderful, especially good ones.
I have friends that I see pretty regularly (partly because they all live in the area) and we have been GOOD friends sharing ups and downs for 60 years. They are just a part of my life and I love them all. You have the same relationship and it it wonderful.
I love you
Grammy
oh, i remember when we stole all of britt's clothes except that cape...good times.
i hear faint rumors of you & dc. please, please tell me they are true!
hey hey hey... loved the post :) you are so sweet... and i have a countdown until you are here in utah!!! yay! I love that picture of ali and i in the snow... i think its possible that we our hatred of snow runs deaper than anyone elses on the planet. the only thing stronger is our hatred of keanu reeves. could someone please check out his latest film? :)
Oh---such good times...thanks for the shout-out Jooj, complete with the philosophical underpinnings to make us all sound so much cooler than we really are.
I cannot agree that that particular photo of me is my favorite, or favourite , you saucy British minx...but it was funny for everyone to sort through my clothes in the common room.
When are you coming home from your Sound of Music wonderland to see us? I love you!
Post a Comment