01 April 2008

more from niamey


fo fo! sannu! bonjour! take your pick on what greeting you want - i don't know the ones in tamashek or biri-biri, but i could add those as well. niamey is insane in that way (and typical of africa in general) - everyone speaks at least 3 languages, and they're all interchanged quite frequently. my french is pretty useless actually - i really should speak hausa or djerma. alas.

anyway, here are some shots from niamey - the first is the sunset from our house a few nights ago. so beautiful - and there are quite a lot of trees around niamey, especially the nicer houses, considering we are in the sahara. the second shot was taken from a taxi - quite typical of niamey, that's what a lot of it looks like. spread out, dusty, low buildings - everything quite clean and ordered, just poor by first world standards.

my work at the hospital continues to go well. research has fallen into place and i feel very grateful at the surprising ease of it all. the women at the hospital are lovely and strong and happy despite some of the extraordinary pain many of them have faced. i love being here, africa is a difficult but wonderful place to work in. the people are extraordinary and i can't say enough about niger itself. such a safe friendly place to be! love you all and i'll try to post more pictures soon.

6 comments:

Pa said...

thanks! more pix would be great! glad that you are having such a wonderful experience - just don't get too attached to niger! we don't necessarily want to visit you there! be safe - mom

FelonyMelanie said...

wow how cool that you guys can post pics!!! Niger sounds amazing, and yes it sounds insanely hot... I can sympathize (remembering brasil) but I bet you girls are handling it well!

Jenny said...

it's great to see the amazing things you're getting to really see. hope things continue to go well!

Brittmae said...

Jooj--love the pics, thanks for sharing...what can I say..I get easily bored at work. I miss you and Al terribly but Africa looks cool and exotic as usual, and I am glad that Niger is suprisingly safe and full of non-scummy men. Woo-hoo. I can't wait to see you research stuff all finished...and the loads of pictures I know you will both bring back. Laterz'

Brittmae said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
stephanie said...

i'm so glad things are going well and that you are safe. niger sounds lovely (though hot).