| Our car needed a tire change - lots of gravel roads! Meet our fellow traveller: this super nice American dude (from Ventura!) who has been backpacking straight for 7 years. !!! |
| The stone is a very pretty pinkish red, contrasted best by all of the priests and locals walking around draped in the typical Ethiopian white gabi. |
![]() |
| One of the many carved passageways - madness! |
![]() |
| Me in one of the caverns between 2 churches. Gorge - in both senses of the word. |
| There we are again on the lip of Giorgis - the guide we had was super rad, and also a stellar photographer! :) |
| Man reading the Bible in the door to some of the monk's homes. |
![]() |
| The yellow gabi is for a monk or hermit in training. He's also carrying what looks like a thermos of tej, the local honey beer. |
![]() |
| This church they think was originally carved as King Lalibela's palace. Check out how deep it is! |
| I loved this one - only partially monolithic as the mountain was still attached to the roof, but it was carved all around, and of course inside. But it was so pink! Like a Sadie or Stella church :) |






5 comments:
Again, wow. Absolutely amazing.
Oh my-hard to believe they can carve these into the rock and down so deep. Much like some of the stopas in India, Differences are they are not so deep but still quite large and amazing too. Thank you for sharing.
Love the pictures of the two of you too.
Hugs and love.
Wow! I am speechless. These churches are amazing. I cannot believe the amount of work it took to dig the buildings out. They are beautiful. Elliott and I are definitely going to visit you next time you and Toni are in Eth.
This is just really unbelievable. So beautiful!! I love reading about your adventures.
I am also speechless, and really moved! These places are incredible, and I can only imagine the spirit that must be there with everyone being so devoted and all. Thank you for sharing, Jooj! I love this!!
Post a Comment