mom and dad came by my office at the end of the workday, we set off to sneak into the VIP section of the lighting of the tree on rockefeller center. the crowds were big, the rain was starting, it was still 2 1/2 hours until the lights on the tree were actually switched on, and we decided (wisely) that it wasn't worth it.
so on we went up 5th ave to see the Christmas-decorated windows at bergdorf's. alice in wonderland theme, and amazing. amazing.
BUT THEN.
we turn the corner of bergdorf's, i see the quaint and lovely little paris theatre outside the plaza with a swarm of people around it with its very own quaint little red carpet. it's a movie premiere, for the lovely bones. the lovely bones, i mentally note, is directed by peter jackson, as in the brilliant new zealander who directed lord of the rings. anyone who knew me 6 years ago knows that i was dressed as rosie the hobbit for the midnight showing of the two towers.
i LOVE lord of the rings, and LOVE peter jackson for making them.
and i LOVE the fact that out of sheer new york coincidence, this happened tonight:

me, getting an autograph from none other than the masterful director himself! !!! !!! !!!
don't you think he kinda looks like ringo? and the autograph is addressed to my dear best friend from high school, karla, who was dressed as fellow hobbit merry that night years ago.... she will die!!!
isn't new york amazing?!! ? !?!!! what's elvish for yes yes yes??

11 comments:
omg omg omg WHY WAS I NOT THERE?! I spent a good two years in high school campaigning my family to move to NZ so I could be an extra. Keep in mind, this was like four years before the movies even came out. but my obsession is well-known to you, i suppose.
no words...this has made my night...and as my smart-a husband said...yeah...you guys were nerds...you saw that...what 14 times?---while I quickly retorted.
13.
Geeze. It goes without saying how jealous I am. And Karla is going to die.
Man-pants.
your life is so much cooler than mine right now.
totally better than watching the tree lights.
I'm sitting here very envious. If you liked LTR you might like the Temeraire series by Naomi Novak. Peter Jackson was bidding for the rights to make a movie from the books. It's like Napoleonic wars, mixed with Pride and Prejudice and fantasy.
so awesome, julianne!
julianne, you can't double tig a tag...
I was just talking about Rosie the Hobbit last night and Stef didn't know what I was talking about. Thank you for validating my weirdness
Excerpt from actual email conversation:
In my defense, Peter Jackson has lost weight and aged. And, he wasn't wearing a tuxedo, standing on stage at the kodak theater holding an oscar in his hands, so how am i supposed to draw any conclusions except, "that guy really does look like ringo"?
I am totally envious of you! Way to go :)
why did you not tell me about this? you always see the coolest celebrities! first bork and now peter jackson! geez...
Post a Comment